Before you begin to train a Yorkie puppy, you must familiarize yourself with the recommendations and conduct an early socialization of the puppy. Yorkies, like other representatives of the canine world, should receive the basics of education, even owners of such a small dog, can cause trouble in the absence of education.
|Training Aspect||Key Recommendations|
|Early Socialization||Introduce to new environments and beings; start minimal walks post vaccinations.|
|Command Training||Begin with “Come” and “Sit”; use clear, consistent commands and rewards.|
|Addressing Barking||Divert attention, use “No!” command, and ignore if barking continues.|
|Common Mistakes||Avoid humanizing, maintain a clear, consistent command, and never punish.|
|Home Training Features||Regular, engaging sessions with varied toys and treats; foster trust and patience.|
Having become the owner of the cutest creature, a puppy – the Yorkshire Terrier, many do not understand why they should be trained, much less educated. Despite the toy appearance, a full-fledged dog lives in the body of York: active, independent, curious. Too spoil pets can ignore the requests of their owners. Therefore, the upbringing of the Yorkshire Terrier should begin on the first day of his appearance in a new family. Having mastered the basic set of commands and gestures, the owner will be able to control the behavior and actions of his dog. Is it possible to train a York puppy at home? What terms must a pet know? These and many other issues are discussed in the article.
York Home Training Rules
The Yorkshire Terrier is smart and obedient dog. Therefore, in the process of training a Yorkie, special skills are not needed. The following features should be considered:
- For classes, choose the most suitable place and time. Only a well-fed, peppy pet in a good mood can quickly respond to the owner’s commands. A place for training should not be crowded. At the first stages, it is better to practice in the usual atmosphere, directly in the apartment where the dog lives.
- The owner in the eyes of the puppy is obliged wives to be a leader, leader. Otherwise, the dog will take over this “position”, and all the owner’s requests will be considered non-binding.
- Given the previous paragraph, you should not allow the pet to sleep with the owner on the same bed and beg for food from the common table. The puppy should have its own place in the house, and he should know him.
- The Yorkshire Terrier is trained according to the “gingerbread method”: praise and encouragement in the form of goodies for a faithfully executed team.
This is the most effective method to foster a warm, trusting relationship. The Yorkshire Terrier must be educated withstanding unwavering, consistent and calm (any physical punishment is excluded). All family members should know and abide by the generally accepted measures allowed for the pet.
- In addition to voice commands, the dog quickly responds to gestures (even if the owner is involuntary). Therefore, it is worth considering the gestures in advance when teaching each command, without introducing the pet into error by the contradictions in commands and body movements. The owner must obtain from the puppy, the unquestioning execution of prohibiting commands. The command should be pronounced strictly, louder than the rest; pulling the leash slightly. So the owner will be able to protect the inquisitive and naive Yorkshire Terrier from various threats.
Early socialization of a Yorkshire Terrier puppy
During primary socialization, it will be necessary to accustom the puppy to a new environment and existence in an apartment, on the street, in communication with people and animals. If this is not done, problems may arise in later adulthood.
- To accustom a puppy to his name;
- A new place for him – your apartment;
- The place where he will sleep and eat;
- Loud noises (thunder, rain, fireworks, firecrackers, noise and signal of cars);
- Busy streets, vehicles;
- Other people;
- Strangers to your other pets;
- To the neighbors.
Begin minimal walks from 2 to 3 months of age, once all major vaccinations have been done. Let the puppy communicate with other animals and people. When you meet your neighbors, say hello to them and give the puppy a chance to sniff; the more often he sees them, the easier it will be in adulthood.
Yorkshire Terrier training is an ongoing learning process, both for walks and at home. For beginner dog breeders, dog handlers give some tips:
- The pet must quickly remember his own name, quickly respond to it. Therefore, it is better to dwell on a concise, short name. Pronounce the name of the puppy should be soft, with tenderness.
- Accustoming to a leash, you need to start small. Ask your pet for a walk nearby. Obedience must be encouraged. Take 10-20 minutes a day to train.
- With a shortage of time, the owner must entrust training to qualified specialists without delaying the process of socialization of the four-legged friend.
Where to start training
You will need to purchase a treat, it can be a special ready-made treat, or made on your own.
- Slices of fruit – apple, pear;
- Rusks – dried white bread;
- Boiled chicken breast, cut into small pieces;
- Granules of dry food;
- Purchased goodies in veterinary stores.
Before starting training:
- It is good to walk with the puppy, play and let it run. Under this condition, your Yorkie will not be distracted by external stimuli.
- It is necessary to alternate active games and the learning process – so that the pet does not get tired, give it a little break, play with the toy.
- Time for training no more than 40 – 50 minutes per day. Gradually, when the puppy begins to grow, the intensity, time and complexity increase.
The commands “Come” and “Sit” can be mastered by a York puppy at a very young age (from 2 months). The training procedure does not require complex manipulations. As mentioned earlier, you need to start training in a familiar environment.
When inviting a pet to the first feeding, it is necessary to loudly and clearly pronounce the nickname and the command “Come”. Smelling the aromatic scents coming from the kitchen, the pet will come running immediately. If the training is carried out at each feeding, your Yorkie puppy will quickly remember the word, which is then possible to practice during a walk in the fresh air. Do not despair if the pet ignores the command for the first time. It is necessary to reiterate it loudly and, if successful, issue a prize in the form of goodies.
“In Your Bed!”
So that the puppy does not run constantly under your feet, on the first day you need to show his personal sleeping spot (bed, bedding, kennel). Having played enough, a tired puppy is carefully taken to the place with the words: “In your bed.” After some time, the baby will independently fulfill this request.
“Sit and Lie Down”
The next in complexity are the “Sit”, “Stay”, “Walk” commands. It is necessary to educate a puppy constantly. Before embarking on the Lying down training, it’s worth first training your dog to sit. Yorkie’s, without hesitation, will lie down (from a sitting position), if you entice him with a treat, lowering him down. Finishing a walk on a leash, the owner can free the pet with the encouraging words “Walk.”
From six months of age, pets must follow the walk command. Many Yorkie puppies at a young age happily run after toys – squeakers, balls. Hearing the words “Give”, the puppy should not hesitate to give the toy to the owner, who in return rewards him with his favorite treat.
The word “fu” and “no” are two different commands. “Fu” is an indicator for a dog of disapproval, such a command is given on the street if the animal picks up litter and takes food from an outsider.
A command indicating prohibited actions that must be stopped immediately. It is given clearly and with serious intonation.
How to stop a Yorkie From barking
Puppies and adult dogs can bark at the slightest extraneous sounds, unfortunately in apartment buildings – this is quite problematic. From puppyhood, a Yorkie puppy must be weaned from such a reaction to extraneous sounds.
The first thing to do:
- Switch his attention;
- Show a toy, treat or a new item;
- As soon as he barks, bark the command “no!”;
- If you don’t obey, stop paying attention to him, don’t look at the pet, leave for another room, then he will understand that the owner is not satisfied.
Common owner mistakes when training a Yorkshire Terrier Puppy
A person, through ignorance or inexperience, can make minor mistakes, in order to avoid problems and properly raise a puppy, it is necessary:
- To perceive an animal as a person. No need to explain what needs to be done, the dog will not understand you. The command must be given clearly, and the delicacy only after execution. Less words, clear commands and patience.
- For each pet, you need to find a “key”, it is your Yorkie that can take verbal praise better than a treat. Someone likes pleasant pats and a vivid expression of the owner’s emotions; for others, a tasty piece is enough. In any case, the pet will be set to please the person and earn praise.
- The educational process is carried out by 1 person – the owner of the dog. The place is selected secluded, there should be no distractions and irritants.
- It is forbidden to punish your Yorkie, as soon as the training process has begun, your main task is to achieve the fulfillment of the command, if you punish your Yorkie, the whole process will be violated, and the next time your Yorkie might refuse training even at the initial stage.
- Mandatory encouragement always follows the execution of the command, the more regularly classes take place, the faster the animal learns.
- The commands are given clearly, the intonation does not change, if you scream or lower your voice, making it clear that you are not happy, the dog will feel guilty.
- Only one command is pronounced at a time, you cannot give several commands at the same time, the dog will not be able to understand exactly what you want from it.
Features of the educational process at home
A Yorkshire Terrier puppy, due to the nature of the character, can be stubborn. Do not give in or punish him, let alone shout. In each learning process, it is important to build trusting relationships.
Change toys more often to interest your pet, offer different goodies. Make it a rule to conduct classes regularly, let them be not only permanent, but also interesting. The more naturally a person will show emotions and contentment with his pet, the sooner he will realize the need for submission and fulfillment of a team.
Yorkshire Terrier Training Video
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the initial steps in socializing a Yorkie puppy?
Accustom to name, new living space, sleeping and eating spots, loud noises, busy streets, other people, and animals.
How should I start training my Yorkie on commands?
Begin with simple commands like “Come” and “Sit” using a reward system; ensure clear, consistent verbal and gesture cues.
How can I stop my Yorkie from barking at every sound?
Divert attention, use toys or treats, issue a firm “No!” command, and ignore or leave if barking continues.
What are common mistakes to avoid while training a Yorkshire Terrier?
Avoid humanizing, maintain clear and consistent commands, avoid punishment, and ensure regular, engaging training sessions.
What should be the focus while training a Yorkie at home?
Maintain regular, engaging sessions, foster a trusting relationship, use varied toys and treats, and exercise patience.
As a lifelong dog lover, I fell in love with Yorkies for their spunky personalities, intelligence, and unwavering loyalty.
As a dedicated Yorkie owner, I have spent years learning about the breed and how to provide the best possible care for them. From finding the proper diet to exercise, and so much more! I take every aspect of my Yorkie’s life seriously.
In addition to being a loving dog parent, I’m an avid blogger, sharing my experiences and insights on all things Yorkie-related. From training tips to grooming advice, Yorkieclothing.com is a go-to resource for other Yorkie owners worldwide.